Memories...

_


Memories come at the weirdest times and in the strangest ways...

I was walking this morning when a horn honked.
It was just a tiny "honk" but it scared me half to death...
I had been deep in thought, enjoying the chirping of the spring birds, the beautiful, sunshiny morning.
I was right behind the van when it honked as it waited in the driveway.
I looked up to see the Dad in the driver's seat, not honking a me...
but waiting for his family to join him for Sunday church.

A few seconds later... "HONK!" ... (louder than the first)
I smiled... as the memories came...
Then "honk, honk, honk"... three little taps...
By now I was a block down the street...
I kept walking...
Then "HONK! HONK! HONK!!!"
This time I had to chuckle...
As I rounded the corner two blocks later, I looked back...
The van still was sitting in the driveway, waiting, the family no where in sight.

Each time this Dad honked, I was reminded of my Daddy...
He was always the first to be ready to leave.
"I'll just go wait in the car," he'd say, leaving Mother to help us with our coats when we were little, grab all that last minute gear we might need, etc.

Then "HONK!!" He was impatient waiting too.

All his life he did this...
Mother would tell how exasperated she'd be when he'd just "go wait in the car"...
Sometimes she wasn't even dressed yet, or was still putting on her make-up...
Always she had to go turn off the TV and the lights while he waited in the car... honking!!

Men!!!
Dan does this to me now, sometimes...
When I get in the car, I call him "Barney" and we laugh...

Memories!!!

_

No comments: