Before I Had a Real Sister...


When I was little... before I had a "real" sister... I had imaginary sisters... there were two. I had named them Francis and that other thing (because I couldn't remember her name). They were named after two little girls who were 3 & 5 years older than I was, daughters of some friends of my parents. Obviously I was quite impressed with these girls.

Anyway... when Mother was feeding me she would always have to give a bite to Francis and then one to that other thing... she would have to bathe me, then Francis, then that other thing... tuck us all in and kiss us all goodnight. I do think Mother tired of doing three times the work for one little girl. Eventually she got her wish and Francis and that other thing were gone. I wonder where they went. Back to live in their own house with their own parents?

I think they left because when I was two, I got a doll for my birthday from my Aunt Opal. Her name was Kathie. She was almost as big as I was. I suppose there wasn’t enough room for Francis, that other thing AND Kathy, even though they took up very little room. (Above is a picture of Kathie and me sitting on our front porch.)

Recently I found the letter my Aunt Opal had written as if Kathie, herself, wrote it introducing herself.

The letter says:

Hello Jodie...
My name is Kathie...
I'm going to be your new birthday baby.
I'm a little soiled as I have been in a display window but Aunt Opal thought you would like me anyway.
Happy Birthday now that you're two whole years old.
Hope you like me.
Kathie Reher

Just like Francis and that other thing before her, Kathie had to go everywhere and do everything with me... Not only did Mother have to feed her, tuck her into bed and kiss her good night etc, she had to carry her along with us when we went anywhere... because, of course, I wanted her along but I tired of carrying her soon and wanted to be carried myself. After all, I was only 2!! So if you are picturing this all in your minds, add one more thing to the picture: Mother was pregnant with my sister Jerrilynn. Eight months pregnant!! We didn't have a car, we had to ride the bus, which picked us up on the corner in front of our house. Picture a young woman, pregnant, carrying a 2 year old and her life size doll friend up onto the bus. Poor Mother!! I bet she could have killed Aunt Opal... and wished Kathie was gone and that Francis and the other thing were back.

Of course, all of this would have gone on even after my poor Mother had Jerrilynn. Now, once again, she would have to do everything for three.

Kathy, of course, was the best baby of us three, quiet, no trouble really.

When I was three, I got a smaller doll. Her name was Sweetie Pie. Aunt Opal also got her for me and named her.

No comments: